10% DEADLY ACCIDENTS BY EXPLOSIONS
Geplaatst op 7 April 2018
A German fatal accident investigation (period 2004 – 2015) in the chemical industry has shown that 10 percent of fatal accidents are caused by explosions. That is why it is important to take good measures against the occurrence of explosions. This can be done by taking technical and organizational measures.
Of 300 fatal accidents in the chemical industry, five categories have been identified (the % have been rounded up):
– vehicles / mode of transport (30%)
– machines / installations (20%)
– fall from height (15%)
– falling objects (15%)
– explosions / flames (10%)
– Other (10%)
When focusing on the risk of explosion, ask yourself :
1. Do I know if there is a risk of explosion at my workplace?
2. Do I know the risks and the measures taken?
3. Am I careful with work in areas with fire or explosion?
4. Do I report defects that have to do with explosion?
5. Do I work only after approval / work permit when performing maintenance, repair, etc.
If you have answered NO to 1 or more of the 5 questions, take appropriate action!
Fact: 32 people were killed in 2004 – 2015 by explosions and their consequences.